President Muhammadu Buhari and the All Progressives Congress (APC) have closed their defense in the petition by Atiku Abubakar and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) before the Presidential Election Petition Court (PEPC).
The petitioners are challenging the victory of Buhari and the All Progressives Congresss at the February 23, 2019 presidential poll.
The five-man tribunal led by Justice Mohammed Garba had, on Monday, asked Buhari’s legal team to open their defense on Tuesday after the Independent National Electoral Commission said it would not call any witness in the case.
Buhari called six witnesses and tendered documents between Tuesday and Wednesday.
Buhari’s lead lawyer, Wole Olaonipekun (SAN) and lead lawyer to the APC, Lateef Fagbemi announced that the 2nd and 3rd respondents (Buhari and APC) were closing their defence in the case.
He was expected to resume his defence today when his lawyer told the court that, having reviewed their case and evidence led so far, they were satisfied that they had done enough to earn victory.
Fagbemi, who spoke later, also spoke in similar vein with Olanipekun and said the 3rd respondent has also decided to close its case.
Justice Garba, then fixed Aug. 21 for adoption of written addresses.